Housing Help

Find housing resources targeted to certain audience groups.

Help for the Homeless

If you are facing homelessness, these tips can help you prepare for and work through the situation.

If You’re About to Become Homeless

  • Make sure your state ID or driver’s license is current and available. Shelters and assistance programs may have strict ID requirements.

  • If possible, store your belongings. Shelters have limits on how much you may bring.

  • Arrange for your mail to be delivered somewhere or rent a P.O. box.

  • Pack a bag for yourself and each member of your family.

  • Keep important documents and needed medications with you.

To Find Housing

  1. Check to see what shelter and housing and human or social services programs your state offers. The types of facilities vary. Research the best options by calling or visiting housing websites to determine:

    • Cost - Most shelters are free, but some may charge a small fee. Most facilities that provide residential drug or alcohol rehabilitation programs charge a fee. Many, however, are low cost, accept Medicaid, or operate on a sliding scale based on your income.

    • Length of stay - This can vary from a couple of weeks to several months.

    • Types of services - Some facilities just provide safe shelter for the night, while others are transitional, providing both housing and support services. Support services may include substance abuse treatment, psychological assistance, job training, or domestic violence assistance.

  2. Apply for more permanent public or subsidized housing. There are typically waiting lists for public and subsidized housing, so apply as soon as possible.  

Special Groups

These resources are geared toward specific audiences:



People with mental illness

Other Resources to Help

Benefits.gov can help you find out if you are eligible and how to apply for other types of assistance including financial, transportation, food, counseling, and more.

If you don’t have medical insurance, HRSA health centers can provide checkups, treatment when you are sick, care when you are pregnant, and immunizations for your children.

Back to Top

Housing for Senior Citizens

If you are a senior citizen or person with a disability, you may browse the following resources for help:

Age Discrimination Complaints

If you believe you were a victim of age discrimination, you may file an online housing discrimination complaint. You may also view information on the senior housing exemption to the Fair Housing Act.

Other Resources

The following resources may also help:

  • Contact a HUD approved housing counselor if you have questions about your situation.
  • Adult day care provides care and companionship for seniors who need help or supervision during the day.
  • Home care programs provide services to those who need some help but do not require constant care.
  • LongTermCare.gov provides information on the type of help you should look for and general advice on how to find and pay for it. The Home Health Compare section on Medicare.gov supplies information on local home health agencies, including how well they care for their patients.
  • The National Institute on Aging (NIA) provides contact information for groups that have information for or help older people. You may contact the NIA at (1-800-222-2225) or TTY (1-800-222-4225). .

Back to Top

Housing Help: Resources for Native Americans

If you are looking for housing help, contact the following offices for assistance:

You may also locate your state housing counseling agency or call 1-800-569-4287 to locate the agency nearest you.

Native American Housing Programs

Back to Top

Housing Resources for People with Disabilities

There are many housing resources and types of help available to people with disabilities. Browse the following resources for more information:

Finally, check your local phone book for non-governmental organizations in your area, such as nonprofits and charities, that may be able to help. You may also visit your local public library, talk to friends and family, or use the various internet search engines.

File a Housing Discrimination Complaint

If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe someone violated your rights based on a disability, you may view information on housing discrimination.

Back to Top

Welfare or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), also known as welfare, is designed to help families recover from temporary difficulties and move forward.

What help is available?

Recipients may qualify for help with food, housing, home energy, child care, job training, and more.

Each state TANF program is operated differently, and has a different name.

Some tribal groups operate their own TANF programs.

Am I eligible?  

  • Each state or tribal territory decides the specific eligibility criteria for financial assistance or other benefits and services.
  • You must be a resident of the state where you are applying.

How do I apply?

  • To sign-up for temporary benefits, you can apply at your local or county social services agency. Call your state TANF office for your local contact information.

How do I report TANF benefit fraud?

If you suspect possible welfare fraud, contact your local TANF office or contact the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Inspector General’s Fraud Hotline.

What else do I need to know?

If you receive TANF, you may be eligible to receive other government benefits.

Back to Top

Housing for Veterans

Veterans can find assistance with a variety of housing issues, including home loans, medical foster homes, and help for homeless veterans, in Housing Help for Veterans.  

Back to Top

Last Updated: September 05, 2017

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!